Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Buen Provecho: Part 2 (Wednesday November 24--Day 12)

When life gives you apricots, make....everything.
I most certainly underestimated the total farm´s total production of apricots. From these few trees, we get about seven kilos a day. This may not seem like a lot, but it is...and it´s a full time job. Every morning, the floor is peppered with fallen apricots. By noon, after we have swept them up, cleaned them, pitted them, and cooked them, more has fallen.
So what, then, does one small farm do with so many apricots? We make jam (the must sugar-filled jam I`ve ever had), dried apricots, aapricot bread, apricot ice cream, apricot and straw concoction for the animals.
Such a simple food with such a wide range of uses. They benifit us now and they`ll benefit us months from now. It`s pretty neat. Although, I think it is safe to say that once I leave here I will never want another apricot again.

1 comment:

  1. Another great update. Thanks. I guess we will let the dried apricots go we were saving for you. Love Dad and Mom II

    ReplyDelete

Well, hello there.