Saturday, October 29, 2011

Welcome back (October 28, 2011)

I haven’t written in a long time.

I’ve been sitting here for nearly 25 minutes, and that’s the only line that I’ve typed. I haven’t written in a long time. The continuously blinking text indicator keeps reminding me just how out of practice that I am. I’ve forgotten how to put my thoughts into coherent statements. I’ve forgotten how to slow down enough to process my experiences. I’ve almost forgotten how to think. I can’t believe I’m going to say this but…I miss blogging. So here we are, then. Welcome back. Labor, language, and character. Round 2.

I’ve spent the past five months at home in Montana. I use the term “home” loosely; after all, I wasn’t born here nor does my immediate family live here. But it is home. This was my second season here at Mountain Sky Guest Ranch, a dude ranch deep in the hills of Paradise Valley, about 20 miles north of Yellowstone. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to live and work in this beautiful place. To explain everything I’ve learned and experienced would take a lifetime. I’ve gotten to spend the majority of my days guiding hikes, and I’ve seen how open and free strangers can become when you lead them through this breathtaking landscape. I’ve spent my weekends volunteering at a local organic farm, where I have worked alongside inspirational individuals as we participate in the farm's daily transition. I’ve learned a variety of skills, from the art of flower arrangements to the technique of sanding and staining a hard wood floor. I’ve spoken with incredible people, from Wendell Berry to the founder of Food Corps, from British royalty to NFL stars. I’ve danced; I’ve sang; I’ve ate (A LOT); I’ve laughed (SO MUCH); and I’ve worked my ass off each and every day. Most importantly, I became part of a family. I have found a group of friends who allow me the freedom to be myself. We're a quirky bunch. We laugh over the silliest of situations and we talk about the bigger picture; we play a mean game of pool and we share every meal together. With them, I am fully present and completely genuine. I am honored to have known them, and I know that they will be there when I am ready to come home.

But home will wait. In a few minutes, on this beautiful fall morning, I will begin yet another exciting adventure. Autumn is a time of transitions for a lot of us; changing jobs, changing weather, changing locations. For me, I am beginning my journey in the world of food. I am going to be a farmer. This much I know. But before I get there, I have a lot to learn. Now, I begin my apprenticeship. I will move from farm to farm—spending anywhere from a day to seven months—talking to farmers, working the land, learning techniques, experiencing the ebbs and flows, and participating in the daily routines. My first job is outside of Tucson, Arizona on Sleeping Frog Farms. It’s owned by four young friends who left their big corporate farm to begin a small-scale, community-oriented, organic farm. I’ll tell you more about them later. For now, the most important piece of information is that I have exactly two months to get from here (Emigrant, Montana) to there (Tucson, Arizona). What, pray tell, is a girl to do?

ROAD TRIP! Southern Utah. Northern Arizona. Western New Mexico. Nothing but red rocks, deserts, and big skies. I have a tent, a cooler, a lot of water, 15 pounds of beans and rice, a portable compost bin and recycling can, a variety of bumper stickers (Wandering Organic Worker, Never Forget 9-11-73, No Farms. No Food, YNP, aqui y ahora) and a jeep with a new homemade Green Bay Packers themed rack. I cannot say for certain where I’ll be going each day (although I have a rough idea). I cannot say for certain where I will be sleeping tonight. But the desert calls, and I’m going. I’m going to slow down and find the time to  process everything that has happened this summer. In fact, I'm going to slow down and finally find the time to process everything that happened during my time in South America. I’m going to reconnect with nature by experiencing something entirely new and foreign. I’m going to master a level of independence I have not yet needed. I’m going to find a way to combine the happiness I experienced this summer with the fulfillment I receive while simply living simply. I’m going to keep being me. Fully present and completely genuine.

So I hope you will join me. The theme is the same; only the scenery has changed. I’ll still be performing labor—whether it be as I hike through the mountains or work on a farm. I’ll still be perfecting a language—only this time it will be my ability to communicate my thoughts and theories with people who may not share the same views. I’ll still be building character—because in all honesty I’ve realized you really can never have too much. 

Until next time...happy trails.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all"
-Hellen Keller

"If you want to sing out, sing out. If you want to be free, be free. Cause there's a million things to be. You know that there are."
-Cat Stevens

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, hello there.